Crystals have a long history of being used in holistic healing practices, and this remains prevalent today. Gems, stones, and rock crystals help people reconnect to the natural world, beautifully formed from nature itself; practitioners of crystal healing find comfort in using crystals to boost energy, release blocked negative energy, and attract positive energy to transform one’s aura.
When first becoming interested in what healing crystals have to offer, it can be difficult to grasp the numerous types and their individual properties. It is important to identify areas in your life – emotional or physical – that you feel could require some support to find the crystals that you will best connect with and find comfort in. Here is a beginner’s guide to the most popular options to help you identify which may be right for your personal journey.
Popular Types of Crystals and Their Healing Properties
- Amethyst– recognizable from its pretty purple color, is used to protect against worry and alleviate anxiety.
- Citrine– recognizable from its sun-like yellow color, it is used for promoting wealth and happiness.
- Rose Quartz– recognizable from its sweet pink color, it is used for healing emotional wounds and all matters of love.
- Clear Quartz– colorless and clear, it is used for helping concentration and unlocking memory.
- Black Tourmaline – similar in appearance to tourmaline but black, it is used for grounding and protection against negative energies.
- Obsidian– though it is dark in its appearance, it is used for protection and preventing negative energy.
- Agate– comes in many different colors. It helps to improve concentration and enhances perception.
- Fluorite – varying in color, it is used to promote balance in body and mind, as well as self-confidence.
- Aventurine – commonly green in color, it is used for inspiring confidence and mental clarity.
- Moonstone – iridescent in color, this crystal is good for calming emotions and enhancing intuition.
There are hundreds of crystals claimed by holistic therapists to offer different healing properties; once you have identified which you seek, you can search for the best crystals for anxiety, for example, and discover more crystals that might be beneficial to you.
How to Incorporate Healing Crystals into Your Life
Once you have identified the crystals that appeal to you, you may be wondering how to incorporate them into your daily life to benefit from the healing properties. It is mostly down to personal preference so you can just scatter them in your comfort zones around the home or carry them with you in your purse, but there are two popular methods of connecting with healing crystals that you might want to explore.
You can find the perfect gemstone jewelry sold by Brixton bespoke jewellery makers and crystal shops near you.
Many practitioners enjoy wearing crystals as part of their jewelry, this has become a fashion statement but also provides the wearer with comfort. Crystals used in jewelry making are usually separated into two categories, precious and semi-precious.
Usually referred to as gemstones and includes diamonds, sapphires, rubies, and emeralds. Frequently used in luxury jewelry ranges due to their rarity and value.
Includes stones of less value that tend to be favored for healing practices, such as popular types of crystals listed before and any gemstones beyond diamond, sapphires, rubies, and emeralds.
Crystal Jewelry wearers have the option to achieve different looks and healing depending on the finish of the stones. This is usually within the two categories, tumbled and rough stones.
Offering more of a polished look, tumbled stones are generally believed to generate more of a subtle energy. They are considered to be more suitable for those sensitive to energies or for use in intense situations.
Offering more of a ‘raw’ rock look, rough stones are believed to have purer energy – this is because they are more natural in their appearance, and some see this as altering the energy they can provide.
However, most crystal healing practitioners retain that any type of crystal can provide healing properties, and the finish will not dramatically affect the energy emitted. Therefore, this is not too much of a concern if you are aiming to prevent negative energy and attract the positive. If you are opting for crystal jewelry to wear, you can make your decision between tumbled or rough stones based on which you find are more attractive – or if both appeal to you, enjoy a mixed collection.
For thousands of years, practitioners of holistic therapies have used crystals to aid them in their meditation. This is because of the grounding properties that help to connect people with the earth and neutralize the energy of their surroundings. Although there is limited scientific research on crystals and their healing properties, generations of people find comfort in connecting with crystals when meditating and find that it contributes to inducing a state of tranquility.
If you are interested in calming techniques such as meditation, you can try surrounding yourself with the crystals that you feel most connected to. You can do this by:
- Wearing them as jewelry – to feel their presence throughout.
- Placing them in the area in which you meditate – is believed to block negative energy.
- Holding them – many consider this to form a deeper connection.
If you are unfamiliar with how to meditate, you can find many resources online or hire a meditation teacher for guidance. Meditation is all about mindfulness; by focusing on your breathing and letting thoughts come and go, it allows you to anchor yourself in the present moment. Some research indicates that meditation can be effective at reducing stress and anxiety due to its calming results. This has been combined with crystal healing as many find their presence to influence the environment and aid them in their meditation.