A workplace, especially a large scale manufacturing firm, can become a perilous place for employees. As a result, several companies involved in dangerous operations or are more prone to cause accidents.
Given the casualties that organizations face with their employees, preventing such incidents and ensuring a worker’s safety remains of utmost importance for companies today. Therefore, health and safety are the top priorities for any business, despite their size or shape.
Given the concern around the safety of employees, SAP has developed a particular business tool called SAP Environmental Health and Safety (EHS). With the help of this software, enterprises of all sizes and shapes can integrate their existing business systems with SAP or non-SAP platforms.
The SAP EHS solution was developed to manage occupational health and industrial hygiene. However, with the increase in the spread of the coronavirus, the significance has greatly shifted towards this hygiene sector. This is where the SAP EHS solution helps develop plans and protocols to reduce human interaction with hazardous goods while ensuring their efficient disposal.
This article will get an overview of the SAP EHS software as we will be discussing the importance of SAP EHS in an enterprise.
Benefits of Using SAP EHS:
SAP EHS has vast applications across different industries, and there are many ways in which their services can be utilized to ensure the best safety measures for the employees. Following are some of the critical benefits a company can enjoy using SAP EHS.
- More accessible and Safer Operations – The SAP EHS module provides an easy and efficient method for detecting hazards in a company, which later can be label appropriately so that employees are alert. As a result, all the hazards are adequately identify and manage, making the operational process safer and more efficient.
- Planned Risk Management – Many companies are associated with tasks that involve risks daily. This level of planned risk management with SAP EHS helps reduce the hazards that employees usually experience. Further, the solution also helps in incorporating these risk management policies into regular health and safety operations.
- Operational Continuity – Optimizing risks is the best way to ensure operational continuity. A proper understanding of the possible hazards in an industry helps employees to tackle those problems accordingly and reduce any unwanted delays in the process. This reduced downtime also helps in improving the productivity of the companies.
- Global Reach –A global solution for ensuring environmental health and safety is SAP EHS platform. You can generate SAP EHS reports in a variety of languages, allowing you to access them worldwide.
- Ability to Develop Hygiene Plans – A proper understanding of the hazards in a company is essential for developing plans that will help employees deal with these scenarios.
- Track Accidents – Keeping a record of accidents or near misses is very important for a company. It helps provide an image to the employees regarding the seriousness of the management regarding these accidents. This also helps investigation teams in getting a better idea about the reason behind an accident.
Essential Components of SAP EHS:
There are a lot of different tools and services that are available under SAP EHS. Following are some of the features that are available with the SAP EHS platform:
- Basic Data and Tools – Contains all data and information about different tools and processes in one place. The EHS object and module specifications can be set up using this component.
This helps in generating reports which are of vital importance in this health and safety domain. It also consists of tools that will give users the freedom to display data in any language per their preference. This helps in making this a globally accepted and understood solution.
Also Read - Custom Packaging Boxes, Explained: Custom Packaging’s Rise In Popularity
- Product Safety – This consists of tools and functions that help manage hazardous materials present in companies using them in the production process. This helps the user manage EHS reports and export those sheets to the authorities to have them checked.
- Hazardous Substance Management – This is used by companies that produce hazardous substances. These tools help them to keep track of their products and make the report-making process a lot easier.
- Dangerous Goods Management – This helps in managing master records around dangerous goods which different companies use. This also helps in the process of report generation and documentation.
- Waste Management – Every manufacturing company has to deal with loads of waste which can sometimes be very hazardous. By following appropriate disposal procedures and implementing the necessary transportation methods, SAP EHS helps to effectively handle this waste. A smart management system similarly makes it feasible to effectively distribute the cost of this waste disposal process among different departments.
- Occupational Health – This also helps host health surveillance platforms that will collect data about every other employee while ensuring a healthy and safe work environment for them.
- Industrial Hygiene and Safety – In the ongoing pandemic, maintaining hygiene and safety has become one of the major concerns for most companies. This SAP EHS tool helps in organizing processes in a way to reduce hazards. This will also help in generating reports regarding accidents that are happening in the enterprise.
SAP EHS plays a crucial role in ensuring workers’ health by assuring minimal health and safety hazards in a work environment. The platform helps give an idea about possible health threats in a company and develops constructive programs to avoid such problems. Most companies require SAP EHS, and it is advisable to hire an SAP consulting company to integrate SAP EHS with the existing platforms properly.